Biomechanical Gait Analysis
WHAT IS VIDEO GAIT ANALYSIS?
At the clinic we carry out kinematic gait analysis using high speed digital video. The patient is filmed using digital video equipment. This is then played back on a monitor to illustrate the bigger dynamic picture. Using this method we can then explain and demonstrate to patients exactly what is causing their pain/dysfunction and when it is happening.
Frontal and sagittal (side) plane running angles are recorded and compared. Functional problems can be diagnosed, which may not be apparent when walking and running is viewed normally.
In a still frame of digital footage, deviation in a vertical line plotted on the back of the heel can demonstrate excessive pronation of the foot. These problems can be functionally corrected with a professionally prescribed customised foot orthotic.
A digital biometer allows Mike to measure accurately the degrees of pathological moment occurring during the gait cycle. These measurements can then be used to create a custom orthotic prescription
HOW TO RUN FASTER
Many runners don’t run efficiently – at our clinic we can
- give advice and training to runners on cadence and posture, showing them that running doesn’t always come naturally.
- measure pathological gait
- analyse running style for faults which could lead to repetitive strain injuries and poor running style
- give recommendations on increasing efficiency of running gait, both sprinting and long distance.
- video gait in sagittal plane (side view) and frontal plane
- assess for excess pronation / supinatory movements
- give advice on correct footwear, running and gait aids
UNSTEADY ON YOUR FEET? HELP WITH ELDERLY GAIT
Having worked as Falls Prevention lead with Norwich Foot Health Services, Mike can identify problems with elderly persons walking, which can lead to joint dysfunction and pain.
As well as advice to prevent falls he can then advise on walking aids, joint braces , foot wear and/or orthotics (arch supports) if necessary.